Once you are among the top 200,000 students who have cleared IIT JEE Mains exam, you can congratulate yourself and then immediately start your final preparation for the final hurdle i.e; IIT JEE Advance exam. Unlike IIT JEE Mains which is a single session, MCQ based exam with just one correct answer, IIT JEE Advance is much different. The exam has extends to two sessions of 3 hours each. Each paper has questions from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and the questions vary from MCQs with just one correct answer to MCQs with multiple correct answers to questions without any options to choose from and finally questions where you have to match two different sets correctly. Given the mix pattern and high competitiveness, one has to be thorough with all the concepts in Physics, Chemistry and Maths to secure good rank in the exam.
Ideally, IIT JEE Mains and Advance preparation should go hand in hand. IIT aspirants get very little time after Mains and that time should ideally be left for final revision. Now, although the syllabus is more or less identical for both Mains and Advance, still the treatment is lot more different. In IIT JEE Advance, one has to be sure of the concepts as there are some MCQs with more than one correct answer and few questions where options are not provided.
There are few books for IIT JEE Advance preparation which has proved useful over the years and are still as important if not more.
Recommended Books for IIT JEE Advance 2017
- Tata McGraw Hill, Mathematics: Tata McGraw Hill or TMH as it is called by IIT aspirants is a must book to test your preparedness for IIT JEE Advance. This book offers some mind-numbing problems and tests your grip on mathematical concepts. Coming from established publisher Tata McGraw Education, this book has concepts divided into 25 chapters. Given that some questions are non-MCQ type as well, TMH is a good book for JEE Advance. Do remember to brush up your concept before trying out problems from the book. You can buy book from here.
- Books on Algebra, Differential, Integral & Vector by Arihant Publication: Relatively new but still one of the best books for IIT JEE Advance. Arihant publication has proportional blend of theory and numericals. Also the fact that there are separate books for each topic makes it pretty useful. If you are following books from Arihant publication then you don’t have to refer any other book. You can buy the book from here.
- Chemistry Text Books for 11th & 12th by NCERT: Chemistry is the only subject in IIT JEE which has three distinct parts- Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. NCERT’s book on chemistry for 11th and 12th class are prominent stepping stone for IIT JEE Advance aspirants. The language is easy and stress is given on to explain each concept in an easy-going fashion. Although you will still need some help apart from the NCERT books, nevertheless these books are too important to be missed. You can download the NCERT chemistry books from here for free.
- Organic Chemistry by O. P. Tandon: This book by O. P. Tandon provides well-aligned concept in each chapter. Organic chemistry is a scoring topic but only if you have really understood and mastered the concepts. This book provides easy flow of concept and problems. You can have a look at the book here.
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison & Boyd: One of the best reference books for Organic chemistry for IIT JEE Mains and Advance both. If you want to build rock-solid concept in Organic Chemistry then this book is for you. This book was my companion for Organic Chemistry when I was preparing for IIT JEE. The book is a real thick one and chances are you will never be able to completely read it. Nevertheless, do read the book as much as you can to get maximum out of it. You can buy the book from here.
- Inorganic Chemistry by O. P. Tandon: Among Organic, Inorganic and Physical chemistry, Inorganic is probably the only one where you need to remember more facts than understand concepts. It’s wise to solve as many problems as possible from Inorganic Chemistry by O. P Tandon. You can learn more about the book here.
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J. D. Lee: Probably the best reference book for Inorganic chemistry for IIT JEE Advance preparation. The book helps in creating a solid concept specially in topics related to periodic table and properties of metals, non-metals etc. You can buy the book from here.
- Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by R. C. Mukherjee: One of the books on Physical Chemistry available for IIT JEE preparation. When I was preparing for IIT JEE, solving problems from this book was a must. The high point of this book is objective concept based questions at the starting of each chapter. If you want to have crystal-clear concept in physical chemistry apart from having a size-able amount of questions to solve, this book is for you. You can buy this book here.
- Physical Chemistry by P. Bahadur: May be not as popular as the one by R. C. Mukherjee but this book offers some great practice for physical chemistry. Questions are concept based and are arranged in easy to difficult level. You can have a look here.
- Concept of Physics Vol. 1 & 2 by H. C. Verma: When I was preparing for IIT JEE, there was a famous saying among the IIT aspirants-” If you have doubt in Physics, read H C Verma. If you still have doubt, read it again!”. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that concept of physics by H C Verma is like gospel of physics for IIT JEE candidates. Each and every chapter has well-thought and well crafted problems that force you to think. No book can offer you stronger grip on concepts of physics then this book. This book also has a huge bank of numerical problems of varying difficulty. You can have a look at the books here.
- Fundamental of Physics by Halliday, Resnick & Walker: Another important book for IIT JEE Advance. This book offers many problems for each chapter. Although books by H C Verma is complete in itself but if you want to practice your concepts then this is the book for you. You can have a look at the book here.
Most important thing to keep in mind for IIT JEE Advance is solving as many numericals as possible and honing your concepts. Also its best to not refer too many books. Pick one book that suits you the best and stick to it.
Best of Luck for the IIT JEE Preparation!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.