If you have reached here, we can safely assume that you are quite serious about cracking the much coveted IIT-JEE. Don’t worry; you are at the right place! We are dedicated to provide hassle-free guidance starting right from preparation to counselling so that you reach the Institute of your choice.
Often in the heat of preparing for IIT-JEE, students often ignore their 12th exam which results in low score in 12th board exam. Now we know that 12th board scorecard plays a pivotal role in IIT-JEE and hence it’s quite important to get a good score. Not to worry as we have a way out. If you feel that your original 12th board score is not up to the mark you can take an Improvement Exam.
|Exam||Minimum % ( or percentile ) required in 12th board exam|
75% aggregate (65% for SC, ST
Among top 20 percentile in the Board student
appeared for his 12th exam.
75% overall with not less than 60% in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics.
What is Improvement Exam?
Students who have appeared for their 12th board exam and are not satisfied with their results can reappear for another exam in one or all the subjects to improve their overall score. Various state and national boards including the central board CBSE that organises the IIT-JEE organises Improvement Exam for the students. Improvement exam can be given only once and that too in the succeeding year only. The students who wish to appear for Improvement Exam do so as a private student and shouldn’t be appearing for higher studies. In simple words, if you have appeared for your 12th board in 2016, you can appear for an Improvement Exam for one or all the subjects just once in 2017 as a private student. But if you have taken admission for higher studies in any college post 12th board then you are not entitled to appear for the Improvement Exam.
Also, if you have failed in any of the subjects in your original 12th board exam then you aren’t eligible for the Improvement Exam. Improvement Exam only considers theory papers and if a particular exam has a practical part as well, then students can only improve marks of the theory paper and final score of Improvement exam will include the practical paper’s score from last year. Finally, if the student has appeared for Improvement Exam, he has the option to choose either his original score or the Improvement Exam score as his final result for 12th board. Students should keep in mind that CBSE board doesn’t give any degree after the Improvement Exam. The board only offers them new score card with updated marks.
When Can Students Apply For The Improvement Exam?
Students can apply for Improvement Exam around mid-august every year. Students can apply for Improvement Exam on any number of subjects (there are maximum six subjects) by submitting the form and required examination fee. CBSE sends a confirmation letter around January and exam is conducted with regular 12th board exams of the following year. Result is generally declared around May. Improvement Exam and IIT-JEE
Improvement Exam is a boon for students appearing for IIT-JEE. They get another chance to improve their 12th scorecard without having to appear for regular classes. By paying a small examination fee and little or no extra preparation, any student can appear for Improvement Exam. IIT-JEE Guideline on Improvement Exam
- Students have to appear for all the five subjects if they wish to take Improvement Exam for IIT-JEE. Although CBSE allows students to apply for Improvement Exam for subjects of their choice but IIT-JEE requires students to apply for all mandatory five subjects for the Improvement Exam.
- Students, while filling the form for IIT Mains, have to mention their year of passing 12th board exam along with name of the board. If they wish to take the Improvement Exam they have to check the box where they are asked whether they wish to appear for Improvement Exam or not.
- In case a student fails to check the relevant box, his Improvement Exam scorecard is not accepted by IIT-JEE.
- After the results of Improvement Exam is declared, IIT-JEE authority gives the students option to chose/edit their year of qualifying 12th board. Student can chose either his Improvement Exam score or the original 12th score of last year, whichever is higher, for IIT-JEE.
- If a student chose to appear for his Improvement Exam in a different state from where he gave his original 12th board exam, IIT-JEE would still consider his first state for all practical purposes.
Benefits of Appearing for Improvement Exam
- Option to improve your overall score for 12th board which can have a decisive effect on your career.
- As the syllabus for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics is almost same for IIT-JEE and 12th board, one doesn’t have to put in much extra effort for Improvement Exam.
- Students can diagnose their 12th board exam, identify their weak areas and focus on it for Improvement Exam.
- No need to appear for regular classes for Improvement Exam and students can focus on what they love doing the most i.e.; prepare for IIT-JEE.
- As there is ample time between the original 12th board and the Improvement exam, students can reflect and decide whether to go for the Improvement Exam or not.
Drawbacks of Appearing for Improvement Exam
- Students have to prepare for all five mandatory papers for Improvement Exam.
- Preparing for IIT-JEE is huge pressure in itself. Additional pressure of Improvement Exam and the anxiety of scorecard may add to the pressure which may affect their IIT-JEE performance.
- Improvement Exam scores may be less than your original score. While they can always discard the lower score but it does hamper your plan of scoring good in 12th board.
So, given the pros and cons, a student must choose wisely whether to go for Improvement Exam or not. It’s a tool given by CBSE, CISCE and state boards to the students. Now, it’s up to you to use it wisely. Good Luck for your IIT-JEE preparation.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.